I’m Still A Little Teary

Last week, between the snows and ices, I went to Reisterstown.  My son had invited me to an interactive murder mystery dinner theatre.  It took place in a beautiful old building on Charles Street called the Grand Historic Venue in downtown Baltimore.  It was originally built by the freemasons as the Grand Lodge in 1866.  There was marble everywhere and even a very nice doorman, complete with top hat.  The theatre was in a ballroom on the fifth floor.   There were high arches over leaded glass windows and lovely chandeliers.  The meal was pretty good.  I have no complaints.  It wasn’t too much or too little or exotic.  By the time dessert came out, I was full.  I only ate half of it.  With my six and a half foot tall son sitting next to me, it didn’t go uneaten.  The murder mystery was a lot of fun.  I had never been to anything like that before and I really enjoyed myself.  I have a very nice son.  He still continues to surprise me.

The next day, we had freezing rain and ice with a thin layer of snow on top.  Needless to  say, I wasn’t going anywhere.  I helped my son turn a long-sleeved shirt into short sleeves.  You can’t just cut off the ends and turn up a hem.  You have play with the under-arm seam so that the hem is without puckers.  It can be fiddly.  I talked him through the first one and he fixed the second with me just watching.

I headed home two days later, but not without stopping to visit my old friend, Joyce.  It had been at least forty-five years since we had seen each other.  Before then, I felt that I had known her all my life.  But, you know, life gets in the way and we lost tract of each other.  A month ago,  she sent me an e-mail.  Man.  Was I surprised!   After hugs and tears, we sat at the dining table with coffee and cake and talked and talked.  I remember thinking that since the freezing rain wasn’t going to start until 3PM, I could stay until then.  It didn’t happen.  Around 1PM we heard the ice pellets hitting the window.  I really didn’t want to leave, but, what could I do?  After more hugs and tears I left.  I was sad, but happy. I felt that there would be many more happy hours together.


Tags: , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: