I’ve been wanting to make an earflap hat for my morning walks. I came upon this pattern about the same time that my sock club came in the mail. I figured it was meant to be. I have plenty of other sock yarns with which I can knit those socks. As a matter of fact, I promised my daughter a pair so there you go.
Here is the first completed ear flap. I should have read the instructions more closely. The I-cord was made separately and I prefer to have as little sewing and as few pieces as possible. On the second earflap, I started with the I-cord. I also made it with three stitches rather than two and it is several inches long in order to tie under my chin. When the cord was long enough, I cast on additional stitches and worked the earflap. Also, I left it on a needle rather than bind off. I knitted it directly onto the cap. Two less stitches to weave in.
Even with the additional stitches, it was easy to decrease and still have this pretty pattern on the top. It’s a shame that it isn’t shown in the book . Chart C is incorrect. The first and last stitch on rows four and five should be deleted. On the Stitch Key, the left cross is backwards, or is it the other way around. This is the only pattern I’ve used so far in this book. I hope that it is not an indication of the way the rest of the book has been written. An editor that knits would have found these.